How we can help others?

I used to give money to boys who asked me to take care of  my car on the street. One day I only had 15 cents and I gave them, when he received and he realize that it was only 15 cents, he came back to my car and gave me the coins back, saying: “With this I can even buy a bread. Take it!”. My chin dropped and I was left speechless. From this day on I promised to myself never to give money to boys in street.


But how can we help people without giving them money? In many cases the best way of helping people is using our time, energy and resources to do jobs to others. 
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man how to fish; and you will fed him for a lifetime”. Some people, like intellectuals and teachers, think that the best way of helping others is teaching them how to fish and not giving him the fish. Some people are against philanthropy, donates and charities. They think that charity is bad because brings dependence and reduce the self worth. 
But we cannot despise the charitable organizations, they give assistance to young single-mothers , others serve soup to hungry people, etc. There are many organizations around the world and another option to help others is being a volunteer.  This is a great way to help the less fortunate, like donating food or money to the poor and homeless. Hospitals and youth groups have many volunteering opportunities.
Although I hate people calling me at home to ask if I want to donate money or something to some entities or organizations.  I think they are demanding and if you do a donation one time you have the “obligation” to give them money every month. Some people have prejudice against these entities because of that or because they do not know very well what the organizations do, they have never seen hungry children more closely or a person suffering without resources to treat a disease.
There are desperate people in bad situations of misery, abuse, diseases, in panic with problems they are living, these people do not  need to learn how to fish, they need assistance, affection, sympathy. Alcoholics need help, they need somebody to listen to them and not exactly learn about the alcohol effects. Chemical dependents need compassion, caress and friends to help them to be strong enough to walk by themselves. 
In charities organizations, with the donations they can buy a wheel chair or glasses to a blind person, or simply food for those who need. The money goes to those who were in need
Otherwise, charity does not doesn't mean just only money. You can say a plain Good-morning to your neighbor who lives alone and abandoned. You can help people to find a job, you can ask somebody who is sick to join you for a walk. Just be gentle and available to listen to other people's problems even if you cannot  can't  help them it would be a great solace.


(Porque não me bastou saber escrever muito bem, é preciso escrever bem também em inglês)

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

MINHA ROSA É ÚNICA NO MUNDO

Eu sou do Trecho

O Buraco do Seu Priquito