Memory loss: causes and effects

When I was in college, it was difficult for me to remember the names of my classmates, mainly when I was coming back from a long university strike. I used to look their faces and sometimes the names did not come quickly to my mind. My memory is not very good to remember names and faces, on the other hand, I can remember my CPF and identity, numbers, even my family's telephone numbers. Recently I realized that some histories from the past were forgotten by me, but I do not forget how to drive a car or ride a bicycle. 

Many people forget where they left the keys, lose some appointments or even do not remember the name of people recently met. Those forgetfulness are normal an in most part benign. The memory loss is a natural aging process, but memory problems can happen even before 50's. Many 20 or 30 years old people can forget names, objects and appointments. The largest enemy is time. In fact, as soon as an information is recieved, the memory starts to fail. Some things disappear immediately, others vanish slowly, there are many velocities of forgetfulness, it depends on how important the information is to you, or the level of stress and other several factors. 

The problem begins when the lapses in concentration and forgetfulness are not normal or they are affecting the normal life. Some common causes of memory loss are: anxiety, stress, Attention Deficit Disorder, depression (sadness), endocrine diseases (problems in the hormone secreting gland), alcoholism, lack of vitamins, infections and the use of medication or drugs. Some causes have effective treatment, and memory loss can be reversible.

Despite this, some diseases bring progressive memory loss and they are not reversible. Among these, the most common is Alzheimer disease, a progressive condition that attacks brain areas responsible for the memory, judgment, intelligence, language and behavior. Some effects of Alzheimer disease are: forgeting an experience or a whole event; forgeting how to drive a car or how to read the hours in a clock's shorter hand; fogeting recently events; having mental confusion and even not recognize family people. In some cases the person affected does not notice the problem. 

In my family there are many cases of Alzheimer disease and because of this I try to work out my brain. The lack of use is on of the most factors to a bad memory. The better way to improve a memory is keeping the brain fit, maintaining him healthy. To continue being intellectual and socially active is probable the most importante thing that I can do to increase my memory ability. Learning new things like a new language, reading new books, writing, finding new hobbies and doing sports I can keep my brain strong and healthy. 

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas